Saturday, September 20, 2008

Reading Resources

How would you rate your reading skills? I have struggled with reading speed and comprehension for years. I am an auditory learner. If I can hear it, and it has my attention, it is much easier for me to understand and retain. However, since I came to Christ, reading has been an important part of my growth. I only wish I would have had better ability earlier on in my ministry. I am not suggesting that I have tremendous ability now, but my speed and comprehension have increased. The practice of daily reading certainly helped in those increases, but I also had other help. Here are a few tools I think can help you.

I was introduced to J. P. Moreland's, Love Your God With All Your Mind: the Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul. (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 1997) during my last semester of seminary. I would have been more greatly aided in seminary if someone would have made me read this book first, and walked through the principles with me. I didn't agree with everything in the book, but it does explain the importance of the mind in worship and more importantly, how to develop our minds for God's glory.

Smart Faith: Loving God With All Your Mind, is slightly more simplified version of Moreland's book Love God With All Your Mind. Moreland teamed up with Mark Matlock (no relation to Ben) in order to help high school and college students develop their minds for the glory of God. It deals with teaching students the skills of thinking and how to apply that to our faith.

The next tool is referred to as "The classic guide to intelligent reading." Mortimer J. Adler originally released How to Read a Book in 1940. It was revised and updated with the help of Charles Van Doren in 1972. How to Read a Book also deals with the processes of identifying what the author is trying to say. Although I haven't had time to finish it, what I have read has helped me in my reading.

Another tool that I have found to help is the EyeQ reading system. This computer software claims to double your reading speed in as little as four weeks. I have worked through a few of the lessons and have found a noticeable gain in my reading speed (with retained comprehension). I am trying to get disciplined enough to actually spend the recommended three (15-30 min) sessions a week to see if I can really ramp it up. The Butler County Adult Education center has a site licence that allows up to fifty students to use this resource (5 at time). If you live in the area, give us a call (270-526-4560--8:00 am-5:00pm Mon and Wed; 8:00 am-6:00pm Tue and Thur). We will get you enrolled and started.

Reading doesn't have to be a chore. It can be an adventure. It can be fun and exciting and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment