Friday, September 12, 2008

Discipleship

As a pastor I feel that discipleship is an integral part of my ministry. Actually, I view it as the central focus. Discipleship is the goal of the Great Commission (Matt 28:18-20). Yet, I often struggle with the "how" question about discipleship. My first few months in Christ (and Baptist life) I was just given a couple of books on doctrine, a KJV, and then turned loose to preach and teach. I was ignorant, biblically illiterate, and immature. The Lord used men like Bro. Wilbur Lindsey to help me to correctly understand the Bible. The Lord provided me with an excellent education first at Clear Creek Baptist Bible College (CCBBC) and then at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (SBTS). I am thankful for his providential care.

While much of my training remedied my biblical illiteracy and a fraction of my ignorance, knowledge is not the same as maturity. Reading about prayer is not the same as seeing prayer modeled effectively and powerfully. Reading about evangelism is not as helpful (although it is helpful) as being with an effective evangelist (not the revival preaching kind, but a person who is very capable at sharing their faith with friends and strangers).

If the me that surrendered to preach almost 13 years ago came forward after a service today, I ask him if he knew the Lord. I would carefully explain the gospel to him and make sure he understood that he was first committing his life to Christ, and secondly to the ministry. I would give him some books on doctrine (for starters I would get them A Theology for the Church--which was unfortunately unavailable 13 years ago), a Bible (probably a NIV or an ESV), but I would not turn him loose. I would invite him to dinner, I would take him with me to the hospital, the nursing home, during evangelistic visits, and I would pray with him. I would call him in the middle of the night and early in the morning to test his resolve, to keep him accountable, an to offer him encouragement. I would ask him pointed and personal questions. I would urge him to integrity in his inner life. I would give him homework and meet with him for extended times of prayer, at the church building, in each others homes. After I was confident is growing character, I would begin helping him understand how to craft a sermon, because the Lord always crafts a man, before he crafts a sermon.

If that guy that I used to be surrendered to the ministry this coming Sunday morning, he would not be preaching two week later. No, I would obey the Scriptures and test him. Having taught him sound doctrine, I would find an opportunity to see if he was able to teach it to others. After, his character and knowledge were growing, I would expand his opportunities. Much of Christian maturity comes from on-the-job training. For example. we learn about evangelism through sermons, testimonies, and books. We learn evangelism through modeling. But we become evangelists by actually telling another about Jesus. Sometimes I wish my start in the ministry would have been different. Although, I am thankful that God not only called me, but has seen fit to us me.

If the Lord gave you the chance to start your Christian walk all over again, what would you change? What would you do differently? What kind of training did you receive? What kind of training do you wish you would have received?

Imagine a slightly different scenario. It is Sunday morning. During the invitation someone goes forward for whom you have been praying. The Lord says to your heart, "Teach them to follow me". How would you go about that task? What would you do? How would the process look like? Where would you start?

How should churches go about the process of discipling new believers/members?

Note: I know many of you are shy about posting comments. But dialog is key to this post. If you are uncomfortable commenting on this page send me an email at: brorandy@ymail.com. If you want I could post it for you or if you don't I won't. All I ask is that you let know what your thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment