Sunday, September 28, 2008

Friends, Fellowship, and Fun

We have all heard it said that laughter is the best medicine. There is a great deal of truth in this statement. I got to hang out with my best friend yesterday. We had a long talk about ministry and calling. These talks always seem to encourage me and solidify the calling in my life. Proverbs 27:17 states, "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another" (ESV). God has continued to use my friend to encourage me in the ministry, and I hope he has used me to encourage my friend. He has a passion and commitment in ministry that is rare. He is a humble servant of God who seeks the spiritual well-being of his flock. I thank God for him and his ministry.

He went with me to the hospital to visit. I went to visit a church member's family member. Armed with the information that this person was in the hospital and the number of their room I headed to the hospital. It was not until I got to the door of the room that I realized I couldn't recall the person's name. So there I was standing outside of this hospital room staring at the people inside, looking to my friend to help me (and knowing that it would have been a miracle for him to have identified complete strangers) trying desperately to recall the patience name. At last I introduced myself, confessed my ignorance and discovered I was indeed in the right place. I don't know if the family laughed after I left, but my friend and I did. Humility is a lesson taught often, if we will learn it.

I also got to hang out with Delia' s Sunday school class. We had a time of fellowship at the church. I love to laugh and cut up. I'm a bit of a goof. Through this time of fellowship I was reminded that I am part of something bigger than myself.

At the end of the night, when the lights were out and my head was on the pillow, I came to the conclusion: when we are connected to our great God and Savior life cannot help but be great. I don't mean to suggest that it is all fun and laughter in Jesus. There is a lot of hard work and heart ache, but life in Christ is far better than life without him. Thank you Lord for a wonderful day, and thank you all for a lot of laughter.

1 comment:

  1. I forget names all the time, so I call everyone honey or sweetie!

    ReplyDelete