Friday, September 19, 2008

Gratitude

My mind has turned toward gratitude this morning. I am not quite sure why, although I am aware that I can always mature in this area of my life, I don't know why the Holy Spirit has brought into my mind this morning. Maybe it is the euphoria of knowing in a few short (7 to 11) weeks we will be reunited with our little girl; that Daddy can begin the process of spoiling his little princess. It may be that I am beginning to realize that soon I will be praying with Sophia, not just for her. It could be that soon her laughter (and everything else that comes with a child) will be ringing in my ears; her little hand will be tugging me out of in front of the tv and into something much more important--life.

It could be the unconditional love of a godly woman who challenges me to expect more from God, and to attempt more for him. It could be her beautiful smile that makes me remember that God is in control, that he loves me, and that he has not and will not forget me. Maybe it is the realization that she has prayed for me, with childlike faith, fully convinced that God can accomplish his will in and through me.

It may be the support of my parents who have continued to believe in me. Who have given sacrificially so that I could have an education, build a family, and have a stable life.

It may be the words of encouragement that I have received lately from many of my family members and friends--comments expressed about this blog (or my sermons) that help me to see that God is still at work in me, and still continuing to work through me. It could be the support my family, church family, and friends have provided throughout Ellie and Sophia's adoption.

It could be the deepening of friendships. Or it could be the rising awareness of the spiritual thirst that continues to grow in the people around me. It could be that God's faithfulness has rested on me in a tangible way that has caused it to move from a theological concept to a verifiable reality.

It could be any one of these things, but it is in reality all of them and so many more. For all of these reasons, and more, I praise God. I cannot help but see his gracious gifting in my life. Everywhere I turn, I find something else, another blessing, another sign of his unwavering love. I look at all my weakness and failures and wonder how he can love me. I sigh with David, "What is man that You are mindful of him?". Then I remind myself, He loves me, because God is love. And once again gratitude wells up in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment