Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Reading List

I want to comment on my "What I'm Reading Now" section. This section contains books that I am currently reading (and one that I am currently listening to--audio books are a great way to get excited about "reading"). These books may remain on the list awhile because I only get to read a little of each of them at a time. I may read a few paragraphs, or a couple of chapters one day, and not get to read from the same book again for a few days. The list is really a way to keep me accountable to finish these books. I won't be including a list of commentaries that I am researching through or other background material.

I want the list to be a useful tool for others who may be interested in picking up good books--not to say that everything on reading list is good. If you have questions let me know. Also the "links" are not meant to be an endorsement of any store. These links were the easiest place to find information concerning the books on the list. Once you get the title and author's name feel free to shop around (I do). I am firmly convinced that every believer should have a good library (for some this probably be a small bookshelf with two or three dozen books on it, others would want a more extensive library).

Don't panic at the thought of a library. Some of the larger (and more expensive) books in our libraries are Concordances, Bible Dictionaries and Handbooks which are not meant to be read through, but used as a reference. I am in the process of composing a list of resources that I believe would aid every believer in having. I hope to complete it in the next couple of weeks. I encourage you to start or complete your own "What I'm Reading Now" list, and your own "Finished Pile." It isn't so much the number of pages you read in a week or a month or a year, it is whether or not you do anything with the information you are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment