Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Prayer

The "With One Voice" prayer service went well last night. We had an excellent potluck dinner and a stirring time of prayer. Prayer is powerful. It is a privilege and command. God has ordained prayer as a means to work in and through his people. Prayer meetings are great, but private prayer is important also. Often we forget that powerful prayer meetings are the result of powerful prayer lives coming together at the throne of God.

I am convinced that one of the greatest sins in the church today is prayerlessness. We excuse it to easily. We have become to comfortable with powerless lives-- with lives that exalt prayer with words, but demean it in practice. If believers prayed (and read their Bibles) as much as they talked about it, we would certainly live in a different spiritual landscape.

I hope that God will move in our hearts to bring about a desire to pray. I hope that we will all set aside time and space for prayer. I hope husbands and wives will begin to pray together. I hope fathers will lead their families in prayer. I hope believers will seek opportunities outside of the worship gatherings to meet for prayer. I not only hope these things will happen, I pray that God will bring them to pass. Will you pray with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment