Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Practicing What I Preach

I try to live out the truths I teach, although sometimes I don't always succeed as much as I would like. All of you will be glad to know that I have had opportunity to practice what I preached on Sunday morning. Proverbs 25:28 states, "Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control." Almost as soon as I had finished preaching God began applying this truth to my life: if my appetites, desires, passions and attitudes control me I am left defenseless and open to attack.

Delia and I ate lunch with the Hispanic church where there is always wonderful food. After we got home from church Sunday night, I tried to get on the internet several times. However, the program would open up, the modem would screech and squeal, but the internet eluded me. When I tried to log on Monday, I got the same response. Every tip and trick I tried failed. Every supposed solutions failed as well. Computers are great when they operate properly, but when they malfunction they often have the ability to not only remind us of the Fall, but of our own sinful nature. Does complaining to a "stupid" computer make it (or us) any smarter? No. Will buying a new one or switch providers really make a difference? Maybe, but the larger problem will still be present.

We are fallen people who live in a fallen world. Our frustration is often a symptom of unfulfilled expectations. We expect the computer to obey us and to do what it is commanded. We expect our will to go unhindered. We want things on our time line, we want to be in control. But, the reality is that we are not in control. So we have to adjust our attitudes and thoughts accordingly. We have to operate on God's time table, do what he has commanded, and trust his unseen hand in all things. And that is the root of self-control.

Whether it is Guatemalan rice and scrumptious chicken that tempts us to eat more than we should, or a computer that refuses to cooperate with our plans, we are called to control ourselves. And more importantly, we are called to be controlled by God. The good news is that God has given us everything we need for godliness through Jesus Christ. John states, "My dear children I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One" (1 John 2:1).

This verse helps us to bridge the teaching from Sunday (morning and evening), and Wednesday night. Sunday morning God's Word compelled us to be self-controlled, Sunday evening we saw that God commanded us be of the same mind as Christ, who humble himself and obediently died on the the cross. Having trusted the promises of God, we do not have to grasp at them as if God would snatch them away. Have come to know the love of God we do not have to fear God removing it from us. The Christ who willing suffered humiliation to redeem man kind is the same exalted Christ who delights in saving all those who believe.

Just as John says we are not to sin. We are called, by the indwelling, life-giving Holy Spirit, to walk in humble obedience to God. Yet, when we fail to do so, God does not abandon us. Christ who died for us speaks in our defense. The perseverance of the saints rests not in their ability, but in God's will. The doctrine of the perseverance of the saints is founded on two important truths: God's sovereignty and his faithfulness. Most of us learned these truths early in life through the simple yet theologically rich children's songs: "Jesus Loves Me" and "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands."

Friends continue to pray for me. Pray for Monticello that we will conform to the image of Christ, that God will give us a driving passion for his glory, and that he will do a might work in and through his people. Have a great day! Hope to see you Wednesday night.

3 comments:

  1. This came right on time for me. I'm working on the transformational practice of waiting. Waiting on God. Waiting on others. Waiting before I speak and act. I wish I could hurry up and wait better. This served as another word from God in my life. Thanks for speaking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of Blogging!!!!

    I have added you as a friend to my page so everyone can link over to read God's Word!!! What a great thing!!!

    Thanks

    Laurie (Southerland) Keen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your words of encouragement. God bless.

    ReplyDelete