Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sophia the Saturday Morning Alarm

It is an incredible thing to be awoken by an energetic and excited little girl. I longed for the days that are here-days that are marked by willing service. As far back as I can remember, I have wanted a family. Now I am living that dream.

When the Lord blessed us with Ellie, I really didn't think I could be a father. I was afraid I didn't have what it took. I found out that the Lord often blesses us with the graces we need most, when we need them most. The moment I saw Ellie enter the world, I fell in love. I knew that I was a father, and no matter what happened I would do whatever was necessary to make sure she was taken care of. I realize now, as I think back on her struggle and passing, that God was stretching my heart. He was teaching me to love with a wider and deeper love than would have otherwise been possible.

When they first told us of Sophia, I was filled with fear, at least initially. "What if? What if?" became a constant refrain in my mind. What if the adoption falls through? What if we can't raise enough money? What if they don't approve us? What if we can't get the paperwork through on time? Then one day the Lord reminded me of his faithfulness. He reminded me of how he watched over Delia and I throughout Ellie's ordeal. The questions did a one-eighty. I started asking, "What if I miss out on the sound of children laughing?" What if we never hear the pitter-patter of little feet running through the house? What if I am never driven from bed on Saturday mornings by energetic and excited children, desperate to play with their daddy? What if I never get the honor of bearing the title, "Daddy?"

I knew in that moment, I would do whatever it took. I began to cry out to my heavenly Father for help and guidance, for wisdom and mercy. He began to open doors and move mountains. We got to spend Sophia's birthday with her. She was declared a Burns over a year ago. She has been with us since December 28, 2008, and here in the States since January of this year. The Lord has enabled us to overcome many obstacles to bring us to this joyous place. And for that we are eternally grateful.

I'm not saying that I the perfect father, but I am a loving father. Every day God stretches my heart and teaches me how to love wider and deeper. When you love, you serve. That is what Jesus did. Even as I lead Sophia, I must serve her. It isn't a burden, but a joy. This morning she came bursting into the bed room and let out a happy, "Dad-dy." It sounded like an eruption of love and joy, and it put a smile on my face. She came over to me, gave me a kiss, and motioning with her little hand she said, "Come on." The time for sleep had come and gone, the time to play had arrived. It's hard to argue with a child's simple logic, especially when you don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment