Friday, October 2, 2009

Faith Like a Child

I recently discovered a television station that plays shows I watched as a kid. I have got to watch reruns of a few of my old favorites like, The Hulk, The A-Team, and Knight Rider. Watching these shows has allowed me to stroll down memory lane, and to become reacquainted with some of my former heroes.

These characters have many things in common. They have to hide who they really are. They have a strong since of justice. They are driven to mercy on behalf of others in need. They often put themselves in danger to save others. They think fast on their feet. They are always on the move. Their plans never fail. They never die. And they are always able to elude their would be captors.

I have also been struck by the fact that these shows seemed a lot more plausible when I was seven. I am beginning to wonder if a Swiss army knife and a pack of gum IS all a person really needs to get out of a jam. All kidding aside, I find that the themes of these shows still resonate with me, even though now I can see through the special effects (and occasional overacting).

As I child, I believed there really was "crack commando unit" somewhere out their helping people, while they tried to clear their name of a crime they didn't commit. I felt sorry of David Banner who had to stay on the run, because he turned into the Hulk. I wanted one of those indestructible, totally awesome, speaking cars when I grew up. I wanted to be that guy--the one who helped people in need and whose plans never failed. Yet, none of these things were real.

I can't help but think of Jesus' call to receive the kingdom like a little child. It is easy to believe when you are a child. The power of the gospel is that it is fact. The true God took on true human flesh. He truly walked in obedience to the law, laid down his life as an atoning sacrifice, and truly arose from the dead. The gospel is so compelling that it renews the heart, and makes it like a child's.

The gospel gives us a new identity. It calls us to put the needs of others before our needs. It calls us fight for justice, and compels us to show mercy. The gospel reminds us that we have a greater hero than man can image. The God-man, Jesus, has brought us the ultimate deliverance from all our enemies, even death, by dying in our place on the cross. Those who trust in the Lord will not be ashamed, he will keep his promises. God is not the imagining of man, but the author of life. I am grateful that in his grace God included me in his plan, and with that I say, "I love it when a plan comes together."

No comments:

Post a Comment