Friday, October 23, 2009

Be Wise of Heart

"My Son, if your heart is wise, my heart will be glad.  My inmost being will exult when your lips speak what is right" (Prov. 23:15-16, ESV).

As we were driving home today, we heard part of an interview on a Christian radio station.  The host asked his guest, in a joking manner, "What's wrong with you?"  Immediately, Sophia said, "Mommy, what's wrong you?"  Then she said, "Daddy, what's wrong you?" Our laughter encouraged her to keep repeating "wrong you?," wrong you?".  Even though I found it funny, I realize that she is coming into a stage in her life where she is going to repeat the things she hears.

As I read Proverbs 23:15-16 during my devotional time, I found myself applying to the situation above.  These verse are my hearts cry for my child (and hopefully, children).  If Sophia is never famous, that will suit me just fine.  If she is never rich, I can be okay with that.  But if she grows up to be a fool, my heart will break.  I am not suggesting that I think she will not make mistakes.  Folly is not about making mistakes, it's about ignoring the voice of God, and rushing head long into destruction.  The fool is one who knows good, and chooses to reject it.

As a father, I know that I have a responsibility before God to raise my children in the fear and nurture of the Lord.  Children tend to weigh our actions before they believe our words.  A parent who is woefully inconsistent will be found out quickly.  I want my actions and words to match.  I want Sophia to follow in the path of wisdom, because it is what the Lord calls her to and because she has seen her parents walking that path.  My heart will rejoice on the day that Sophia places her faith in Christ.  It is a day for which I have prayed, and will continue to pray, long and hard.

We instruct.  We model.  We lead.  We nurture.  We love.  We must not coerce.  We must not manipulate.  Salvation cannot be forced upon a person.  People may be forced to verbally confess Jesus as their Lord, but unless the Spirit does a work in their hearts it is useless.  My hope and goal as a parent is to see my children come to know the Lord, not only through my teaching (and Delia's), but also through my (our) life.

As I am watching Sophia grow, I am praying that she will grow up into a mature Christian woman who is passionately devoted to Jesus, who will serve him faithfully, and who raises up children of her own that know and serve the Lord.  I do not know what the future may hold for my little Sophia, but I know who holds her future.  And nothing could please me more than to see him draw her to himself, and to display his glory through her life.  When he does, my heart will rejoice in him, and for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment