Thursday, October 22, 2009

Generocity

"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to it" (Prov. 3:27, ESV).  

"But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?" (1 John 3:17, ESV).

Sometimes, I feel like an easy mark.  Almost any time I'm in a big city somebody asks me for money.  I must just look generous (and no, I won't give you money if you email me).  I find myself wanting to cling to my money when someone asks me to share it, but I rarely have the same problem when I see stuff I want to buy.  In my heart I know that this is wrong.  Jesus always saw people as more important than stuff.

Jesus didn't die for all of the trinkets mankind so desperately pursues.  He died to redeem mankind and the rest of creation, but not stuff.  Yet, we often treat things as more important than people, and exploit nature in order to have possessions.

It would be more Christlike to be more concerned with people, than things.  Once Jesus stated that he had no where to rest his head.  Which means he didn't have his own house.  In a certain sense, he had to rely on the kindness of strangers.  Many who followed Jesus during his earthly ministry abandoned their families, jobs, and homes in order to be a part of his kingdom.  They were willing to make the sacrifice, because they knew that what they gained would be better than what they lost.

When we give generously to others, we are imitating Christ.  The heart, which loves things, always cries, "What if they misuse it?"  Jesus said, "Give to every one who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back" (Luke 6:30).  Do we trust our stuff more than we trust the Lord?  Can he not provide for our needs?

Why should we question their motives?  Why should we withhold good from them when we have the ability to give?  Why should we hold on this world's goods when we see people in need?  When we cling to our possessions we are say in one of two things: they are more valuable than Jesus or Jesus can't be trusted to provide.  But if we would just seek the kingdom of God and his righteousness, the things we need would be added to us.  If only we truly believed Matthew 6:33, maybe we would live it more fully.  We give, because much has been given to us.  God has blessed us, so that we may bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment