Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Watched Pot

We all have heard the old expression, "A Watched Pot Never Boils." We Delia coined a new expression, closely related, "A Watched Email Never Arrives." We had hoped to here something Friday concerning Sophia's passport, but as of yet, we have not heard anything. Now I could complain (and want to), but as I was reminded by my lovely wife, complaining is really an expression of distrust toward God.

When I complain about a situation, at best I am saying that God is not fair. At worst, I am saying that God is not in control. If I believe that God is truly sovereign over all things and that he is always righteous in his judgments, then to question the validity of a circumstance is to question God's character.

When thinking through this truth an image popped into my mind. It was from the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. In one of the early scenes Frodo (one of the main characters) addresses a newly arrived Gandalf (an elderly wizard coming to visit Frodo's uncle Bilbo). Frodo tells Gandalf he is late. Gandalf says something like "a wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he ever early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

I am not implying that God is a wizard, but the words reminded me of a truth. God does not operate on human time tables. He has a plan and a purpose and we must submit to him, not the other way around. As Peter reminds us, "With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day" (2 Pet. 3:8).

Please continue to pray for us and for the foster family, as well as the birth mother. Pray that we will trust the Lord's purposes for this time of waiting. Pray that we will uphold the glory of his name through humble submission to his will, and that we will not slander his name by complaining. He is faithful and true and in control. Also pray that I can learn how to humbly submit and rest in his sovereign hand. And, please pray, we get Sophia home soon. God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Praying our sweet girls home so soon and praying for God's perfect peace as we wait!

    ReplyDelete