Thursday, October 2, 2008

Contentment

I am thinking about the $700 billion bailout of Wall Street. Lawmakers are hoping to free up credit to lend to people buying houses, cars and other stuff. However, the current crisis is a result of bad credit ventures.

Debt is a nasty master. It drives one relentlessly. It can push a person to the brink. It is time to reconsider contentment. Maybe all the desires of our hearts are not as necessary as we think. Maybe we need to get back to being satisfied with what we have.

It is true that refrigerators stop cold. Cars run down. Not even the world's best planner can see all ends. Only God knows all things. But contentment with what we have can help us secure the future. Contentment can assist us in preparing for a rainy day, while lessening the risk of debt.

Debt is a pool that most people will wade through in their life, but if a person is not careful that pool can become a flood that washes them away. It is better to avoid debt if at all possible. It may mean a smaller house, less expensive clothes, a cheaper or used car, it may mean shopping at thrift stores and consignment shops. The root of debt free living is being satisfied with what you have.

I have to admit it is a struggle for me at times. I want more. Then when I get it, I wish it had cost me anything, that it took up less space, and that I had more room. However, I am seeking God's help at becoming a faithful steward who is content with what I have. Are you struggling to be content? Do you have a financial plan? Are you a good steward of all that God has given you?

No comments:

Post a Comment