Saturday, October 4, 2008

Rowing Down the River

Today was an excellent day to be out in God's creation. The sun was warm and the leaves are beginning to change. The day was accompanied by a cool breeze. It was the kind of day that makes you happy to be alive and even happier that you know the One who made it all. We had around twenty or so show up for the canoe trip this morning. We all set out with the hopes of ending the day as dry as we started it.

The last time that Monticello took a canoe trip Delia and I flipped our canoe three times. We had hoped to end the trip with no flips this time (thank the Lord no flips). The water was really cold this morning. If you fall out of a canoe in the summer, chances are you experience relief (if you can get over the embarrassment, are not afraid of water, and if you can swim). The only way you would have experienced relief by falling out of the canoe today was to have been a polar bear.

Our canoe got stuck at one point today (low water). So we had to get out of the boat (ankle deep) to push it free. It wasn't the coldest water I have ever felt (I jumped into a swimming pool in the middle of the winter once--but that is a story for another day), but it was cold enough that I didn't want to find what it would feel like to be immersed in it. We did have one couple that tipped their canoe, but they were alright.

I had a great day today. I really appreciate the opportunity to serve among such admirable and amiable people. I glad that we have the opportunity to enjoy life together. I regret that many of our friends couldn't be there, but there will be another time for us to join together and enjoy each other's company. God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had quite a day!

    I love the slide shows that you added of the girls. Both girls are so beautiful.

    I continue to pray for your hearts after the loss of Ellie and I pray for Sophia's quick homecoming. I look forward to our girls being playmates!

    ReplyDelete