Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sermon Preview

Sunday Morning (10-26-08): This morning we will begin a series called Jesus our Great High Priest from Hebrews 4:14-10:18. The first sermon in this series is entitled "Before the Throne of God Above," and will come from Hebrews 4:14-5:10. The author of Hebrews has demonstrated in 1:1-4:13 that Jesus is supreme over all things. Now he turns his readers attention to the greatness of Jesus' priestly ministry. This passage reminds me of the Charitie L. Bancroft hymn, "Before the Throne of God Above." The hymn states:

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

This hymn, much like this passage, presents the powerful message of Jesus' priestly ministry. Christ atoning sacrifice has purchased our peace and redeemed our life. When we stand in him, through faith, he stands before the Father on our behalf. This truth should move us to gratitude, humility, holiness, and obedience. Since Jesus is our high priest, as the author of Hebrews reminds us, "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need" (4:16).

Sunday Evening: We will continue our Membership Matters study. Tonight we will take a brief look at Church history with a special focus on Southern Baptists and Monticello.

Wednesday Evening (10:29-08): We will look at "A Biblical Understanding of the Good News" from chapter 7 of What is a Healthy Church? (pgs. 75-79).

No comments:

Post a Comment