Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pastor Appreciation Day

The Scripture states, "Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad" (Prov. 12:25, ESV). If we are not careful, we will end up burdened down by the cares of this life. It is easy to stress out about a million little things: a drink knocked over at dinner, a package that doesn't arrive when you hoped it would, or the person driving in front of you who drives five miles per hour under the speed limit. Sometimes it is big things that bring us to an anxious place: like waiting for test results to return, the illness of a loved one, or the loss of a job. Anxiety is an all too familiar companion for most people.

This proverb reminds us that all our cares weigh us down. They place a burden on us that will crush us if we are not careful. Maybe you know someone who is buckling under the strain of anxiety. They need a good word to make them glad. We should seek to speak encouragement to those under the pressure of anxiety.

The "good word" may take many forms or have numerous expressions. It may be a reminder of God's grace, care, kindness, and/or greatness. It may be a word that confirms a person's place or calling. It may be a word that expresses empathy and concern. Any expression that seeks to lift the burden through the exaltation of the Lord and his grace is a "good word."

I say all of this because today was Pastor's Appreciation Day at Monticello. Delia and I were given a card, a gift, many words of encouragement and many expressions of gratitude and love. Our hearts were made glad by all the "good words" spoken and the anxiety of life melted away like ice in the desert.

It feels good to be appreciated. In ministry I often feel like I am stumbling around in the dark searching for the light switch. Such warm affirmation and genuine affection encourage me in ways I can't fully express in words. Any good that has come from my ministry or that will come in the future is from God.

So let me say to all of you, I love you. More than that, I thank God for you. I am thankful for your loving kindness toward Delia and me. I am thankful for all the gifts and cards we have received. I am thankful for the smiles, the handshakes, the laughter and the tears. I am thankful that you have opened your church, your homes, and your hearts to me. You have mourned with us and rejoiced with us, you have taught me as I have sought to teach you. I prayerfully look ahead to the coming days and years with excitement and anticipation. I can't wait to see what God is going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment