Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Practice of Waiting

This available was originally published here, on September 23, 2008.

We spend the majority of our life waiting; waiting for someone to write, or call, or visit, or email. We wait for someone to fix our car or for the doctor to see us. I have had a lot of practice at waiting. I waited (impatiently) to turn 13 and be a teenager. I waited to turn 16 and drive a car. I waited to turn 18 so I could vote. I waited for High School to be over, then college, and then Seminary. I waited for the right woman to come along before I got married. I am currently waiting to be united with my daughter, Sophia Hope.

The Scripture calls us to wait on the Lord. David states, "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourselves over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices" (Ps 37:7). We do not know the end of all things. We cannot even see what will happen five minutes from now. But God knows all things, and more importantly he is in control. Be still, wait, don't fret--we are called to remember these truths, and to live them out.

We say we "can't wait" for something to express our impatient desire (rightly or wrongly) for immediate satisfaction. We want others to know the depth of our yearning for that thing to pass. I remember when I said, "I can't wait until I get to drive!" But, I did wait--a few years to be exacted. And now my heart says, "I can't wait to go get Sophia!" But, I have to wait--this time only a few weeks. I am okay with it, however, because I have had practice.

James reminds us, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing" (Jam 1:2-4). Paul also says, "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, know that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us" (Rom 5:3-5).

I don't mean to minimize the suffering of others, nor do I think that having to wait to bring Sophia home is a massive trial. But, I do believe it is a trial, or test if you will, a trial that compels me to be still and wait on the Lord. He will unite my family. He will bring us together. I do not need to fear or allow worry to consume me. I wait on him who is always faithful, him who is always in control, and him in whom I have placed my trust. My heart cries out, "I can't wait!", but the Spirit speaks to my heart, "I will give you the strength to endure."

Editor's Note:  The waiting came to an end on December 22, 2008, when Delia and I were united with Sophia in Guatemala.   Looking back on it now, I can hardly remember the anxiety that grew within me as I waited for that reunion.  The Lord was faithful to see us through that time of waiting, and he has blessed us beyond belief over the last several months.  I continue to remind myself of his faithfulness every time I face another wait.  His timing is not always our timing, but he is always faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment