Tuesday, November 17, 2009

In Memory


Elena Grace Burns
June 25, 2006-November 17, 2006

Today marks the third anniversary of the passing of our little Ellie.  In some ways, it seems like a thousand years ago.  In other ways, it feels like it just happened.

That morning plays over and over again in my mind.  I remember receiving the phone call, the anger, the disbelief, the powerlessness, the longing to comfort my wife, and to be comforted.  I can still remember having a disconnected feeling.  It was almost like someone had separated my mind and body' I was there, but not there at the same time.  Yet, in the midst of that disconnection I remember feeling the presence of the Lord.  He surrounded Delia and I on that day with his people (our family, church family, and friends), and loved us through them.

Through their love and service, the Lord enabled us to endure.  We are both eternally grateful to God for the time we had with Ellie, for the loving support we received from so many, for the gracious confidence that we have knowing we will see her again, and for his sustaining power that not only brought us through, but made us stronger.

They say that time heals all wounds, but I don't believe that is true.  Only the Lord can bring healing to a wounded heart.  He may use a loved one, a doctor, or a counselor to assist us in the healing, but it is unmistakably his hand that does the work. The Lord, through his grace, has caused me to hope, and it is a hope that will not be disappointed.  So I celebrate Ellie's life, even as I mourn her passing. I also celebrate the Maker of her life, and rejoice in knowing He will never pass away. I believe I will meet her again around the throne of God.  However, that reunion is not the source of my hope.  My hope rests in the One who conquered death and the grave, because by his grace he has cleansed me of my sins and given me everlasting life.  For this reason, my heart says with Job, "The Lord gives, and he takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment