Friday, November 6, 2009

Death of Hero


This article was originally published here, on June 17, 2009.

Alonzo Vernon Butler
June 16, 1947-June 16, 2009

How would Metropolis pick up the pieces with Superman gone? How could Gotham rest easy at night with Batman lying entombed? It’s difficult to cope with the death of a hero. It doesn’t matter if that hero leaps off the pages of a book or comic book, grips us with a life changing idea, or touches us in more ordinary ways; the loss can be very painful.


I lost my Uncle last night. He passed away after a battle with cancer. My Uncle Lonnie was a unique person. It would be difficult to explain the way I felt about my uncle. It always seemed that we had a special bond. In childhood, he was my idol, along side of the Hulk and Spiderman. He was to me then what Chuck Norris has become to a generation–the very definition of tough. I just knew he was invincible. His toughness was so deeply etched in the recesses of my mind that I secretly believed he would beat this cancer. Theologically, I knew that even Uncle Lonnie couldn’t beat death, but the larger than life image of him still resides in my heart to this day.

When Christ transformed my life I had to lay my idols down, but the deep and abiding love that I have had for Uncle Lonnie since childhood has never waned. His life had its share of mistakes. He battled demons throughout most of his adult life, but he always treated me with love and kindness. I have prayed for him persistently since I surrendered my life to Jesus, because I wanted him to know Jesus, too.

After we found out for sure that he had cancer, I called him. Much to my surprise and joy he shared with me that he had trusted in Christ. He wanted me to know that he had come to understand and believe the gospel. The knowledge that I will see him again has eased the burden of grief, but not removed it. A hero has departed from my life. However, I rest easy because I have another hero who has defeated death itself. His name is Jesus and because of him I can say, “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” (1 Cor. 15:55). I’m going to miss Uncle Lonnie, but only until we see each other around the throne of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment