Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

There is something about holiday gatherings that stir slumbering memories. Even in the midst of laughter and festivities there is a hint of sadness. For some, the losses are so great or so fresh that sorrow becomes almost overwhelming. We rarely mention the absences that create such obvious discomfort. We play through the pain, so to speak. Yet, even in the pain there is joy. Joy of being gathered with family, joy of good food, and the joy of living. The Lord has blessed with so many wonderful gifts that we will be eternally grateful.

We remember those have passed on with fondness and affection. We celebrate their legacy (and sometimes mourn it). Yet we must move forward and thrive in the present. We honor who they were and who they helped us become, by rejoicing in life. We must remember that physical absence does not mean absence in heart. I say all of this to say that there are many people for which I am grateful. Many of them are no longer present. They shaped and molded me into the man I am today. God used their influence to draw me toward himself. My love for them has not waned. So today I say thank you to the Lord of life for his love and all his blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment