Friday, November 6, 2009

Everyone Is Free to Wear Sunscreen

This article was originally published here, on July 14, 2009.

A good definition of stubbornness is nursing a wicked sunburn when an ample supply of sunscreen was within reach and a willing assistant was nearby. I hate sunburns, although apparently not as much as I hate sunscreen. After I get sunburned, I spend the evening fight the chills. So why do I hesitate when it comes to sunscreen? I wish I knew.

They say, "You live and you learn." I am not entirely sure I agree. Most live, a few learn. I fear that is why so many of us end up repeating our mistakes. We hate the consequences of our choices, but we rarely make the adjustments that would prevent those consequences. We choose the path of least resistance, not because it will make us happy, but because we are comfortable with the routine. There are times we do things we know will cost us, because we know the outcome. There is no guess work, and a known consequence is better than an unknown reward.

My back and shoulders are ablaze with regret. I have vowed to never forgo sunscreen again. Yet, if I were a wagering man, I would bet I'll be in this situation again. Maybe not tomorrow, or next week, but soon the burning will stop, the skin will peal away, and time will make the sunburn a distant memory. When the heat of the consequence dies down, the temptation to avoid sunscreen will come back.

Sin is dreadfully cunning that way. Once it is tripped you up, it points out the folly of your choice to increase your sense of guilt and shame. In this way, it hopes to dishearten you so that you will think you can no longer approach God. Sin wants you to think you can't choose another path. It wants you to think, even in your regret, that your destined to remain unchanged and unchangeable. Then after your conscience has been appeased and you no longer feel the burden of your guilt, sin returns to tell you that this time it will be different, this time the consequences won't be so bad, or this time it won't end in heartbreak. But it's a lie.

The only way to overcome an unpleasant consequence is to change your way of thinking and your way of doing. The only way to make those changes is by turning away from sin and trusting Christ to transform you through his grace. When we place our trust in Jesus, who died for our sin and rose again on the third day, he gives us a new nature. He has absorbed the consequences of our sin upon the cross, and extended to us his righteousness. We can stop listening to the lie, and be transformed by the Truth. For this reason, the Scriptures continually call us to put off stubbornness and heed the Word of the Lord. Whatever your struggle, turn to Christ in repentance and faith, and ask him to deliver you. You will find he is an able and willing Redeemer. And don't forget to wear sunscreen.


Editor's Note: I made it through the rest of summer without getting another bad sunburn.  The picture is of a mule, which has the reputation of being stubborn.  I couldn't find a picture of a sunburn or lobster, so I hope you enjoy the mule. Photo by: Einar Faanes

No comments:

Post a Comment