Thursday, April 16, 2009

Work Heartily for the Lord

Around sixth or seventh grade I discovered a powerful philosophy which shaped much of my middle school and high school careers. In fact, I still find myself seeking to shake the influence of that philosophy. The budding young philosopher who sought to mentor me, and did mentor me for several years was quick of wit, charismatic, and yellow. Yes, although it pains me to admit it, I was a Bart Simpson fan. Something about his sarcastic, mischievous, rebellious, slacker attitude resonated deep within me.

I had a giant button with Bart declaring on it that he was an underachiever and proud of it. That button sat on my desk at home. It reminded me that only suckers wasted their evenings doing homework. It reminded me that there were better things to do. Who need to crack books when there were jokes to crack. Whenever motivation stirred in my heart, I could look at that button and the desire to succeed faded. Why bother even trying?

Under Bart's tutelage I came to see my father as another bald, doughy Homer, and my mother as a well-meaning, loving Marge, who just didn't get it. I found myself emotionally disconnecting from everyone around me and resenting them for not understanding me. Rebellion was the heart of Bart's message and it stirred rebellion in my heart. Well, I should say, rebellion was already in my heart, Bart just help me to focus it.

As I slipped farther into Bart's training, I began to think nothing really mattered. "Why try?" was the mantra of my life. Bart's skillful rhetoric landed me in an afterschool tutorial program in the ninth grade. I got a D in biology during the first quarter and it was either go to the after school program or get booted down to a lower level biology class. If you have never been in an after school tutoring program, let me tell you-you don't want to go to an after school tutoring program, especially in the fall. I got on the bus in the dark and got home in the dark.

The first afternoon my teacher was kind enough to stay late to help me with my problem. Imagine her suprise when I opened my brand new biology textbook and the spine cracked because it had never been opened in previous eight weeks. Needless to say, I got a stern talking to. But, all I could hear was Bart saying, "Underachiever and proud of it, man" and "Eat my shorts." He was continually with me, encouraging me to try less, squeek by, to do just enough.

About a year after I graduated high school, I met someone else who took me under his wing. He also sought to teach me. He pointed out the rebellion in my heart, and instead of coaxing it out or stirring it into a frenzy he told me it was wicked. As the Holy Spirit continued to press the truth of Scripture on my heart, I began to realize that my rebellion wasn't just against my parents, or a world that didn't understand me, or a system that was designed to keep me from succeeding. My rebellion was really against the Lord and his authority.

By the grace of God, the Holy Spirit, enabled my heart to repent of my sin and to believe the gospel. I had to part ways with Bart, although I occassionally see him from time to time. And I still hear him urging me to wave the "underachiever" banner high, but not too high, especially when I am faced with a task that I find unpleasant or when something fun comes up. But Christ deserves (and demands) more than a half-hearted attempt. Although we are not seeking to achieve his favor, we should be striving to show him the depth of our love and gratitude.

You may have never been a Bart Simpson fan, you may have never seen an episode of that show, but that doesn't mean that you haven't been influenced by its philosophy. Whenever we are tempted to rebel against authority or to refuse to give our all, we are living out Bart's philosophy. However, Bart's philosophy is older than the Simpsons. It's older than Maynard G. Krebs. It goes all the way back to Garden of Eden and the Serpent who stirred rebellion in the heart of Adam and Eve. The good news is that Jesus has achieved forgiveness for those who trust him. He has made it possible for us to achieve many good works for his glory. As Paul reminds us, "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Jesus Christ" (Col. 3:23-24).

No comments:

Post a Comment