Friday, April 10, 2009

Reminders of the Fall

I was looking out the window this morning and noticed a new dent on my truck. Apparently, a limb or something landed a rather hard blow to the roof. I am a bit ashamed to admit it, but it grieved me a little to see the dent. Not that there aren't other dents on the truck. There was one on it when I bought it--the only flaw in an otherwise flawless vehicle. Since I bought it, someone has dented the front passenger's side fender, I dented the front driver's side fender by running over a post in the front yard, and during the ice storm a limb ripped off the driver's side mirror. Then on top of all of those things, there have been mechanical problems and rusting.

Looking at my truck this morning in its diminishing glory made me long for better days. I wanted to turn back the clock or at least halt the steady crawl into ruin. As I stood there looking out the window mourning a dent in my truck, a thought occurred to me: it's a machine. It doesn't know me, it doesn't love me, it couldn't care less if I praise it or curse it. It is a lifeless object designed to serve one purpose: transportation. It is only a thing, and yet, I care about it.

A Scripture came to mind as I stared out the window, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal" (Matt. 6:19). As I thought about this passage, I couldn't help but be reminded of two facts. First, this world is in a fallen condition. Adam's sin has subjected this world to bondage. Second, this world and its conditional are passing away. Somehow I doubt I'll be driving a glorified version of my truck in the new earth.

The slow (and emotionally painful) decay of my truck is only a symptom of a greater tragedy. Paul stated, "For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies" (Rom. 8:22-23). There is within all of us the knowledge that the way things are isn't the way they are supposed to be.

But thank God, better things are coming. Sin, hell, and death have been defeated. One day, by faith, we shall see the new heavens and the new earth. All of the decay that reflects the fallenness of creation will be gone. As Jesus said, "Behold, I make all things new" (Rev. 21:5). As I think about the significance of the death and resurrection of Christ, a new dent in my truck seems like a trivial distraction. But, it does remind me that my soul, which was marred by sin and corruption, was redeemed. By the grace of God, I was not consigned to the junk heep. God the Father sent his Son into the world to redeem a people for his glory. Jesus, the Son, in his infinite mercy purchased my pardon on Calvary's tree. The Holy Spirit in his gracious kindness enabled me to trust in Jesus' work on the cross.

Unlike my truck, I'm being renewed day by day. Unlike my truck, I care what the One who owns me thinks about me. I desire his praise; I fear his curse. I stand amazed at the fact that Jesus bore the curse for me. Paul informs us, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us--for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree'" (Gal. 3:13). The cross changes everything. When one truly understands the cross it causes a radical shifting of priorities. This world and its trinkets no longer have a hold on us. Let us turn our attention to the cross and find in Christ the hope of renewal.

No comments:

Post a Comment