Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Distractions

I try to avoid distractions prior to preaching and teaching, but sometimes its difficult. Sometimes, I can be so singularly focuses that I cannot "let go" of something. This focus usually occurs when I encounter a problem that arrests my attention. For example, this afternoon I cut some pages out of a workbook to laminate. Somehow I misplaced one of the pages. Instead of making a copy from a duplicate workbook (the time saving, logical choice), I retraced my steps at least three times, went through several workbooks and paper piles, looked to see if the pages had been laminated together, crawled under my desk (not an easy task), and finally looked in illogical places--all to no avail. I am still thinking about that missing page. It bothers me, it bothered me at work, it bothered me on the drive home, and it will probably haunt me in my sleep. It's the curse of single-minded focus.

Other times, I am very easily distracted. Especially, if I don't want to do something. I'm like a kid who would rather play catch than rake the leaves. My procrastination stems, in part, from a tendency toward perfectionism. I want everything decently and in order. However, I am not quite sure what that should look like so I avoid doing anything in an attempt to avoid messing it up. Inevitably time slips away, and the task has to be done, so I rush to do it. The desire to get finished surpasses the desire to do it perfectly. I am working on overcoming my procrastination and perfectionism, but they are hard habits to break.

Distraction also comes when I have too many thoughts running through my head or if something is bothering me. It's difficult to overcome mental overload. A word or a phrase can send me chasing a thought through a series of seemingly unrelated memories, only to have one of those memories send my mind racing off in another direction. Usually, I do pretty good at staying on track, but occasionally a chase a rabbit (or ten). All I can say is thank you for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment