Saturday, April 18, 2009

Good Music

From time to time have an insatiable desire for new music. Sometimes, I need quick tempos. Other times, I need pounding rhythms. But, always I want something that moves me. When I am down, I want melancholy music; when I am up, I want music that is upbeat. I don't suppose I am any different than most people. My musical tastes touch about every genre (except Opera-I haven't been able to develop a taste for it). And while I occasionally listen to secular music, I really want music that will have a positive affect on my spiritual life. I am always looking for "good" Christian music.

Message plays a large part in what I deem to be "good" music. I listen to the words, not just the music. Another thing that is important to me is the lifestyle of the singer or group (and the songwriters). I want to know that the artists are trying to live the life. I don't expect perfection, but I do want consistency. A few years ago, I was grieved when a song written by a non-believer won the best song of the year at the Dove awards (an awards show for Christian performers). It bugged me that such a thing could happen. When the message is biblically accurate, Christ exalting, and backed up with consistent testimony I find it easy to enjoy the music.

So, don't be shocked if you see me bobbing down the road to the base-thumping sound of Voice, or rocking along to Apologetix or Rush of Fools. Soon you may here me listening to the mellow, folksy and powerful tunes of Andrew Peterson. His music has had a particular affect on me. I have been listening to in on Lala.com over and over again. His songs have such powerful turns of phrase. I am seriously considering allocating some funds in the budget to download his stuff. I especially love his songs "Hosea" and "The Good Confession." His other stuff is really good, too. If you find music that is biblically accurate, Christ exalting, and that nurishes you spiritually, let me know about it. It may be something I haven't heard, but need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment