Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Scripture Reading

You have heard the saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." While the truthfulness of that statement has never been adequately tested, it sounds pretty good. I'm surprised more Christian's have adapted to say, "A chapter a day keeps the devil away!" or "A chapter a day keeps the flesh at bay!" They're catchy phrases. However, just as a diet lacking good fiber, lean protein, and healthy carbohydrates isn't going to be overcome by the addition of a single (albeit daily) apple; a steady stream of temptation and tribulation aren't going to be overcome with a verse or two, or even a chapter.

We need to commit ourselves to read the Scripture daily. The more we read the better. Each verse is part of a chapter, each chapter is part of a book, each book is part of the canon (the books given by God). To rightly understand a verse, you must understand the context it was written in. Minimally, that means you have to read the chapter it is found in. Realistically, it means you are familiar with not only the chapter, but how the chapter fits into the book, and how that book fits into the larger storyline of the Bible.

It is never to late to start a Bible reading plan. There are dozens of them out there. I have been following Professor Grant Horner's plan. You can read about it here. Horner's plan consists of reading ten chapters a day. You can find a copy of his 10 lists here. Following this plan permits you to read through most of the Scripture at least twice, and some parts of Scripture several times more. For example, I have read through the book of Acts nearly nine times. I have read all of all of the New Testament (except John's Gospel) at least three times. I start my third trip through John tomorrow. It takes a bit longer to read through the Old Testament. I have read all of it once, and some of it multiple times. I read a chapter of Proverbs each day.

I'm not trying to brag. I have to work at keeping such a pace. Some days my reading takes me 30 minutes, others it takes an hour. Occasionally, I miss a day, but I always make them up. You don't want to get far behind when your reading 10 chapters a day.

The process of daily Bible reading helps you to learn your Bible better. A plan like Horner's helps you to see the big picture, as well as, the parts. Reading through the categories has helped me to see connections I hadn't seen before.

I have thought of altering the plan. I have consider add two more categories: the Minor Prophets and Revelation. Of course, Professor Horner's plan includes both of these, but they are in with other readings so you don't get to read them as frequently. I have also considered adjusting some of the categories so that it would be easier to multiple chapters in one book, rather than one chapter a day. I find it difficult to stop reading at the end of a chapter. But for now, I'm sticking with the plan.

 It may sound intimidating, but with some careful planning it can be done fairly easily. Whatever plan you chose, I hope you're working yourself through the Bible. As you do, it will work itself through you.


No comments:

Post a Comment