Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Loving Jesus

How does Jesus define love?

"If anyone loves Me he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. The one who doesn't love Me will not keep My words. The word that you hear is not Mine but is from the Father who sent Me" (John 14:23-24, HCSB).

It is easy to fall into the trap of seeing love a warm, fuzzy feelings. But love is more than that. Love is accepting a person for who they are. It's about meeting them on their terms. If I approach someone with from the standpoint of self-interest (what they can do for me), I'm not loving them. I may be attracted to them. I may feel pity for them.  I may be genuinely concerned for them, but none of those things in love.

Jesus says, "Here I am. Love me." And we are to love him more than anything else. Why? Because he created us, and by his grace, he redeemed us. He is worthy of our utmost love. All of our life and desires should be prioritized beneath the Lord.

Yet, I find myself failing to keep his word, time and again. I struggle with some of the most basic things. I cling to him in faith. I am confident that his love is greater than mine, and greater than I can imagine. I try to remind myself of it often, not so I can do as I please, but so that I will be more apt to do as the Lord pleases.

How do we love Jesus? By trusting his promises, and pursing his will. May God bless you and keep you.

No comments:

Post a Comment