Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Some Thoughts on Snow

I love the snow.  I have since I was a child.  Every winter when I was growing up I would pray for tons of snow.   Unfortunately for me, I live in Kentucky and we don't get it by the ton.  We generally only get snow a few inches at a time.  I know there have been times where greater amounts of snow have fallen, but I don't remember any really great (more than 8 inches) snow falls.  I always wanted the kind of snow fall that would allow for tunneling.  My aunt got me a sled for Christmas around the time I turned ten.  The first chance I got I took it for a test run.  The snow was so shallow that sled exposed the mud under the snow its first trip down the hill.  I never really got to enjoy that sled.

Sophia seems to love the snow.  She would stay out in it for hours if we would let her.  She giggles will excitement when she sees snow falling.  Last night we were out in the snow and she said, "It 'nowing. I want to play in the 'now."  She stood there looking up into the night sky, starring at snow falling through lights above, frantically waving her hands about trying to capture a flake or two.  Her wonder was infectious.  Her laughter was heartwarming.  The moment was magical, and in that moment I remembered the awe and wonder that snow can cause.

I can't think of snow without thinking about the Maker of the snow.  It amazes me to think that God created water in just such a way, that under the right circumstances, it can freeze in the form of snow and float softly down to earth.  In spite of the impurities that are contained in the water drop and surrounding air, snow appears white instead of gray, black, or beige.  Snow, when undisturbed, appears clean, shimmery, and brilliant.  The world under the cover of snow looks like a slate that has been wiped clean, or a canvas ready for paint.

My mind also turns to the biblical metaphor :"'Come now, let us reason together', "says the Lord",'though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are crimson, they shall become like wool'"(Isa. 1:18, ESV).  Thus, snow here is a metaphor for purity or cleanliness.  Their hands are stained with blood (sin) and are therefore scarlet or crimson.  God is promising to take away their sin so that they appear as white (innocent) as the snow and bleached wool.  The pristine beauty of a snow covered environment can then serve as a reminder of cleansing cover believers receive in Christ.

Let me add just one more thought: the danger with over-analyzing snow is that we fail to enjoy it.  Sometimes, we need to stop thinking about the snow and go out and play in it.  It is part of God's good creation which we are encouraged to enjoy.  So put some warm clothes and a pair of gloves, and let your inner child go out and play.  And while your at it, thank God for the beauty and wonder of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment