Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Lord Our Rock

"To you, O Lord, I call: my rock, be not deaf to me, I become like those who go down to the pit.  Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to you for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary" (Ps. 28:1-2, ESV).

The Lord is our only source of hope. It is helpful to remember that he is not deaf, even though sometimes it feels as if our prayers aren't heard.  The process of waiting on the Lord, especially through difficult circumstances, can cause feelings of desperation.  It can feel that we are about to be consumed by the events surrounding us, and that no one cares what happens to us, but these feelings are far from the truth.

The Lord invites us to call on him, he delights in hearing and answering the prayers of his people.  He is our rock, unchanging, unbreakable, and solid.  In him we take refuge.  David reminds us that the Lord is the only one who can help.  If we cry to him in desperation, he hears.  If he hears, he brings about his glory and our good through our situation.  He the Rock upon which we should build our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment