Monday, February 15, 2010

Some Thoughts on Procrastination

I hate being a procrastinator.  There is too much to accomplish within the limited amount of time we are given on earth to keep putting things off.  I am looking at an ever-growing stack of "to read" books, there are blog posts to write, sermons and lessons to prepare, classes to plan, a family that needs attention, and on and on the list goes.  Yet, in the midst of all this activity I find myself resistant to careful planning and execution.

I just keep putting stuff off.  I'll read that book next week.  I'll return that call tomorrow.  I'll check on them in the morning.  Not right now dear, Daddy's busy.  There always seems to be something more urgent, something undone, or something that I would rather not do.  I guess my procrastination is rooted in laziness, immaturity, irresponsibility, self-indulgence, and a lack of skill in time management.

Laziness, or sloth, is a spiritual condition with physical symptoms.  Mankind was created to work, to be creative, and to be productive.  When we fail to acknowledge the goodness of work and its necessity, we are prone to avoid toiling away with all our might.  We need to recognize laziness as sin, confess and turn away from it, and seek to become diligent.

Irresponsibility is often connected with laziness.  Sometimes, we excuse our laziness with the expression, "that's not my job," or "that isn't in my job description."  Responsible people take initiative.  They don't wait see how others will respond, they do what has to be done.  At some point, we have to learn to stand on our own two feet and meet our obligations.  I'm not suggesting that we never seek help, but we should live off of others like parasites.  We have to learn what our responsibilities are, and with the Lord's help, meet them head on.

Immaturity is often at the root of both irresponsibility and laziness.  We should all be seeking to grow in maturity.  Part of that growth is to understand our place in this world and to take the appropriate action based on that knowledge.  Ultimately, we have to grow up.

Procrastination is often also accompanied by self-indulgence.  We tend to put off the things that we find unpleasant.  For this reason, many people with a toothache put off going to the dentist.  Others put off going the gym, because they find exercise to be unpleasant. We have to stop making provision for our flesh-it's weak, and doesn't want the things of God.

Finally, one tends to gain skill with time management as they mature, take responsibility, become diligent, and stop giving into every desire.  Sure, we can learn something from those who are task oriented, and who have dedicated their lives to getting things done.  But apart from growing up and getting to it, there is very little they can do to motivate us.

Pray for me that I will overcome procrastination.  I'll pray that you, if you are a procrastinator, will overcome it as well.  I hope you don't put it off too long.  You never know what you might accomplish.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Randy,

    I just got through reading this blog, and had to respond because I too am a procrastinator, I have been my whole life, so I can absolutely relate to what you have said here. It is a huge hurdle to over come, giving yourself discipline can be extremely difficult, but I hear it is not impossible. My own attempts in over comming procrastination never wind up to be succesful. At first it feels as though I am going to conquer it, but alas in a short amount of time I revert back to my old ways. I will pray for you as well, hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, and your prayers. I hope you will eventually overcome procrastination as well.

    ReplyDelete