Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Leave Them with Regret

"And he departed with no one's regret" (2 Chr. 21:20b).

These are chilling words.  How bad does a person have to be if no one regrets their death?  I realize that not regretting someone's death and rejoicing at their death are two different things, but I doubt that they are that different.

Jehoram, king of Judah, executed his brothers (and probably some of his cousins) when he ascended his throne (2 Chr. 21:4).  He followed "the way of the kings of Israel, as the house of Ahab had done" (2 Chr. 21:6).  He extended pagan worship throughout the kingdom of Judah, angering the Lord.

Because of Jehoram's great wickedness, God sent a plague on the people, he stirred up the anger of the Philistines against Judah, and struck Jehoram with an incurable disease of the bowels.  His death was slow and painful.  His power and wealth were diminished. In spite of all his pain and suffering, no one cared.

I can't imagine being such a horrible human being that no one grieved my passing.  I would like to believe that my death would be mourned by several (for one because they deemed it untimely, and two because they thought I was a descent fellow).  Of course, I don't really want find out who all would come to my funeral.

As I am thinking about this passage, it occurs to me that wisdom dictates that we choose the best course in which to walk.  Jehoram was very foolish. There was no reason for him to execute his brothers, to extend false worship, etc.  It also teaches me that a life devoted to ignoring God will not be remembered in the long run.

If you want to be remembered, don't devote yourself to self-veneration.  Labor for the glory of God and the good of your neighbor.  People always remember kind people. Live in such a way that you leave people with regret over your loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment