Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'd Hate to Burst Your Bubble, Or Maybe I Wouldn't


I enjoy watching Sophia play with bubbles.  For those moments, the world drifts away, and all that exists is laughter and whimsy encased in a sphere.  I have often wondered why God created the bubble.  It appears to serve no purpose other than to create delight.  I know that there are a few people in this world that fear bubbles (although I couldn't find a clinical name for the fear of bubbles), but almost everyone else seems to smile when bubbles are present.

Bubbles are nearly impossible to catch.  Most attempts to capture a bubble end in it bursting.  It is a sad phenomena that can only be erased from memory by the creation of new bubbles.  Thus, the bubble has a symbol of a dream or dreamlike state that allows for momentary displacement of reality.  I suppose that is why the phrase, "I hate to burst your bubble," entered our language.  The speaker is stating that the dreamlike reality in which the listener is living in will come to a close as soon as the sharp point of reality is driven home.

When I watch a bubble floating in the the air, I find myself wondering what would a bubble feel if a bubble had feelings?  Would it find its satisfaction through existing or by accomplishing its purpose?  Granted, it couldn't accomplish its purpose apart from existence, but which would bring the bubble greatest joy: being a bubbling or bring delight?  What if a bubble, upon coming into contact with a frolicking, laughing child, burst with shear delight?  What if, having achieved its purpose, that is bring delight, its joy became so overwhelming that its thin spherical skin could no longer contain it?

By now, you tuned me out as a loon.  I know it is impossible, this side of heaven, to prove the purpose of bubbles.  I know that non-living things don't "feel," and therefore can't experience joy.  Yet, the thought of a bubble bursting, because its joy was uncontainable, makes me think of greater things.  Things that, although they rarely happen, should happen frequently.  What if we creatures, were less concerned about our existence, and more concerned about living out our purpose?

What if it were possible to live in such a way that our joy became uncontainable, and who we are right now ceased to exist, because we were transformed into someone new?  Does that sound far fetched to you?  It shouldn't.  The general thrust, or overarching story, of Scripture leads to the conclusion that mankind was created to know and love God.  Thus, the greatest purpose in human life is to glorify God and to enjoy him.  Humanity can only find genuine fulfillment by making God the center of their life, and pursing him.  To pursue anything other than God, is to pursue an existence that can never accomplish its true purpose.

Life in the kingdom of God, is gained not by pursuit of one's life, but by the yielding of one's life.  To paraphrase Jesus, "If you seek to save your life, you forfeit it.  But, if you give me your life, you will find it."  For some reason, this statement makes me think of bursting bubbles.  The bubble does not exist for its self.  It was created with some other purpose, and only in fulfilling that purpose can it have any meaning.  Like a bubble, we are created for a purpose, and only in fulfilling that purpose can we have any meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment