Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Growing in Discipline

"He dies for lack of discipline, and because of his great folly he is led astray" (Prov. 5:23, ESV).

I am wondering if I should make discipline the theme of 2010.  As I think about this verse, it offers me definite warning.  Lack of discipline not only leads to shattered dreams it leads to destruction.  Lack of discipline in the financial realm leads to debt and poor stewardship of the gifts God has given. Poor financial stewardship leads to the inability to support missions and ministry.  Lack of discipline in the physical realm  often leads to laziness, obesity, and poor health.  Laziness and poor health also diminish the reach and effectiveness of our ministry.

If we lack discipline in any or every area of our life, we limit what we can achieve for the Lord.  I know that the Lord is sovereign, and can work in spite of our weakness.  However, that does not mean we can presume that he will bless our disobedience.  In fact, the Scriptures warn us that he will not bless our mess.

As I reflect further on this verse, I know that discipline is a desperate need in my life.  I realize that I have struggled with a slacker attitude for years.  I also realize that slackness in ministry spells death for many.  There is too much good that needs to be accomplished to waste our days with idleness and undisciplined behavior.

People are lead astray by desires that are left unchecked.  Lack of discipline allows these passions to spread.  As they grow, they consume.  For this reason, we are warned to make no provision for the flesh.  My must come to terms with the reality that we do not possess ourselves, but we belong to the Lord for he has purchased us with the great and precious price of his blood.  It is his command that should drive our decisions.  It is his Word that must direct our path.  Thus, we must discipline ourselves to submit to it or we can be sure the Lord will discipline us when we don't.  Why should God's children pursue folly?  They shouldn't.  Once we were sheep gone astray, each turning to his own way, but through Christ, the Great Shepherd of our souls, we have been brought back into the fold.  

I know I must now embark on a quest to find discipline, and in the process find holiness.  It is a pursuit that really began the day I trusted Christ, but now must find a fuller, clearer expression in my life.  As students of Jesus, we find life and liberty as we conform ourselves to his will.  Submission is the key to freedom.  I pray by the grace of God that the Spirit will bring about an abundant harvest of the fruit of self-control in my life this year, that I might better serve and glorify my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment