Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hard Decisions

The snow outside has forced me to make a tough decision.  I hate making tough decisions.  It goes against the core of my being (sometimes I fear that I might be part jellyfish).  I had to decide whether we would have church services tomorrow, or if we should cancel.  One of the few things I hate more than tough decisions is missing church, especially the morning service.  My whole week seems off without it.

The worst part of the decision making process is that often decisions have to be made when we don't have all the necessary information.  Decisions concerning tomorrow run less risk of being the wrong one if we can make them while eliminating a lot of variables.  That is to say, if there are not many "unknowns" which must be considered, decisions are easier to make and usually more accurate.

Let me illustrate with this current dilemma.  Looking out my window this morning, I saw snow (and for our area, lots of it).  There was no sign of an attempt at clearing the roads.  It was cold, and would only probably  get colder.  Then the question arises, "What are we doing about church tomorrow?" Now a decision had to be made.

Wisdom dictates that we approach a dilemma with careful consideration.  It is helpful at this time to turn to wise voices, and ask questions.  However, there are times were the wise do not agree.  The decision becomes more difficult as we weigh the differing opinions of wise people.  Some voices point out that the snow, and subsequent ice, will create a dangerous situation where people might get hurt.  They rightly point out that it is not a sin to cancel services under certain circumstances.  Others stress that the necessities of life, like work, would require that they be out in the weather any way.  They rightly point out that people whose churches have dismissed services might look for another place to worship.  They mention potential visitors who might not make the "call list."

Added to this dilemma is the growing pangs of conscience.  I live within walking distance of the church I serve.  I feel guilty anytime we cancel services, because I can be there.  I know that other people can't, and I don't fault them in the least.  But I feel pressed to be there, because you can never be sure who might show up.  I am not legislated to be there by some legalistic drive, but I am compelled to be there by a strong desire to worship with God's people. 

Thus, as a pastor I am torn between my concern for the people I serve (especially the really young and the elderly), and my conscience.  I have no verse that leads me to conclude that it is a sin to cancel services in situations like these, but the knowledge that I can make it to church compels me to be there. It is not wise to sin against one's conscience.  So in faith, I decided to hold the am worship service, and urge others to follow their consciences.  If any one feels that it isn't safe to venture out to church, they need to stay home (and feel good about their decision).  Only let the decision be made in faith.

When the Bible doesn't tell us exactly what to do in given situation, we have to use sanctified common sense.  A decision should only be made after we have prayed, sought wise counsel, measured all the variables we can, and labored to discover the best course of action.  Yet, even after every effort is made sometimes decisions have to be made in gray areas.  Sometimes we have to pick the greater of two goods, and trust God for the results.  At times like these, we must obey our conscience.  A person whose conscience says stay in out of the snow, shouldn't feel bad because their neighbor's conscience says go to church.  They should stay in and heed their conscience, and thank God that their neighbor heed their own.

Decisions that do not directly conflict with God's words (in letter or spirit), are not proven right or wrong by the approval or disapproval of those around us.  They aren't proven right by the fact that our conscience seems appeased, nor are they proven wrong by fact that our conscience is displeased.  We will only know if they were right or wrong when we stand at the judgment.  We live by faith and not by sight.  I am not trying to say that my decisions are beyond questioning.  Sometimes we make an educated guess, with the best of intentions, and things don't work out like we planned.  God is still able.  He is still in control.  Jesus still upholds us in the presence of the Father.  If we err, he will correct our course.  Ultimately, we make decisions, in faith, that God will see us through.

Hard decision have to be made.  After prayerful and careful searching, we must pick a course of action to follow.  Then, by faith, we set out.  It is good to remember as we travel, that most decisions are not final or fatal.  There is room for changing our mind in light of new evidence.  To have peace with tough decisions, it helps to have a good understanding of the Word of God, a humble heart, and a willing spirit.  If we are seeking first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, he won't abandon us.  So even if we make the wrong choice, he has a way of turning it around.

Note to Monticello:  Let me say first, I love you all dearly.  I do not desire to see any one injured.  So please, if you are elderly or afraid of getting injured in the snow and ice, stay home.  No one is going to judge you if you aren't at church this Sunday.  I don't think God will be disappointed if you stay home to avoid injury.  But if you are going to be out and about anyway this Sunday, join us for worship at 11:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment