Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Tale of Two Christmases

This time last year I was in a hotel in Guatemala getting to know my daughter. This year has flown by much faster than the previous one. I suppose it is because we didn't have wait this year for our little girl to get home.

We are miles away from the events of Christmas 2008. This year, we won't be startled by a midnight barrage of fireworks that lasts to 2 or 3 in the morning. Most likely, there won't be an attach of diarrhea for Sophia to endure. The days of sign language are behind us.

This year, we have already had the opportunity to celebrate with family and friends. Now, Sophia tells us what she wants, when she wants it, and who is to get it for her. Her hugs and kisses flow freely (most of the time), as does her laughter. Most likely, we will enjoy a silent night in our own bed tonight. We'll open presents in the morning (which is like only 40 minutes away by my reckoning), and enjoy a home cooked breakfast.

The joy is different this year, too. Last year, the joy that I felt in being united with my daughter was nearly indescribable. Although, I knew then easier days were ahead, I didn't think I could enjoy them more. I didn't realize that each day would present exciting new discoveries and adventures, or present new and challenging puzzles that would only strengthen the bonds that join us and deepen the love we have. I was naive.

Now I know that each day will provide a fresh opportunity for deeper joy. I am constantly watching Sophia to see what she will teach me. Sometimes, I watch her for the shear amusement. She is a performer at heart, funny and spontaneous, and always "on." Her quick wit keeps us on our toes. She is always working on out-thinking us, and sometimes I am afraid she will soon succeed. She disarms with her pretty smile which radiates charm, and has the power to melt almost any heart.

I don't mean to ramble. I am just reflecting on two Christmases, separated by only one year, but so different. I am reflecting on the power of the Lord, as it has been demonstrated to me through Sophia. I am reflecting on the joy that has enriched my life in ways I still don't fully comprehend. I am pondering the blessings in my life, with gratitude in my heart. I am offering up these words as praise to my Lord, who has bought me and blessed me beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment