Monday, December 14, 2009

Daddy Are You?

This morning while gathering the garbage, I managed to move a few inches out of Sophia's line of sight.  When this occurred she said, "Daddy Are You?"  I leaned toward the doorway where she sat smiling at me, and told her, "Daddy's right here, honey." I knew that she knew right where I was, but she wanted to play, so I played along.  Later, as I remembering her words it got me to thinking about an article I had read recently.  Pastor Mark Driscoll, recently posted 16 Christmas Tips for Fathers at the Mars Hill Church Blog. While the tips he gives are specifically geared toward Christmas, they have a wider application.  Many of the tips revolve around making pleasant memories with your children.

The article really challenged me to rethink my Christmas strategy, especially since I didn't have one.  I (legally) downloaded two Christmas albums: the free Holiday Sampler from iTunes, which has some great songs (and a few not-so-great songs) and the Chipmunks' Christmas album from Lala.com.  The other night we cuddled up together as a family to watch the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.  When we drive we're jamming to "Christmas Don't Be Late."

Sophia's "Daddy are you?" struck my heart much like Mark Driscoll's "Dad, are you a servant like Jesus to your family?"  Both questions call for a reevaluation of priorities.  They call for us to make the most of the opportunities given us for the glory of God and the good of our families.  I hope you fathers (and mothers) will read Mark Driscoll's article and allow it to challenge you to be ready to answer, "Daddy Are You?"

No comments:

Post a Comment