Saturday, December 26, 2009

Hard to Find the Words

Sometimes it is difficult to put our feelings into words.  Struggle as we may, somethings are more easily felt than expressed.  Maybe we lack the cognitive ability to comprehend them, or maybe we understand them too good?  Maybe we see the events in all their horrific agony or glorious joy, and we aren't quite willing to share them with others?  It maybe that we want to share them with others, but the feelings are too deep for words.  It is quite possible that you have no idea what I am talking about.  

Holidays are usually days filled with joy and heartache.  There is the joy of family celebrations (although I realize not everyone enjoys family celebrations, but I do). There is the joy of catching up over a good meal.  Yet there are those who are no longer there to share in the festivities.  We can't catch up with them any longer, because they have left this world.

Their absences can often weigh heavy on the mind, even in the midst of laughter.  We all have family and friends who have passed away.  We all mourn their passing.  Sometimes we talk about them, and other times we refrain, because the pain is too near.  It seems to me that many people during emotionally charged times struggle with finding the words to say because they don't really want to feel what their feeling.  I know I don't want to cry, especially in front of people, but at times its the only natural response.  In the year ahead, I hope to find the words that express my joy and my sorrow.  I hope that by expressing them that it will deepen my gratitude for them.  I also hope that you, too, (if you haven't already), find the words to express your joys and sorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment