Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Stronghold for the Blameless

"The way of the Lord is a stronghold to the blameless, but destruction to evildoers" (Prov. 10:29).

There are times that I have to scratch my head when I read Scriptures.  This verse is one of those places.  What does it mean when it says "blameless"?  At face value, it means those without blame.  Logically, we might conclude this meant sinless people.  However, many (all) of those who have found refuge in the Lord have been sinners.

Thus, blameless must not mean sinless.  Maybe it means those who cling, in faith, to the Lord without waiver.  Again, many of God's people wrestled with doubt, like Gideon and Thomas.  So blameless cannot mean doubtless.

Maybe it means that the Lord, in his grace, does not hold the believer "guilty," because another has bore the penalty of their sin.  Within the confines of the Old Covenant it would have been the sacrificial animal, in the New Covenant it would be the Lord Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.

Thus, to be blameless is to be counted as innocent, by grace through faith.  Those who seek refuge in the Lord find him to be a stronghold.  Those who reject his gracious provision destroy themselves.

Solomon's words remind us that two paths stretch before us.  We can chose to follow the Lord (wisdom) or turn from his way (folly).  To walk in the way of the Lord is life, but to ignore it is death.

Which way will you walk?  Is the Lord your stronghold? Or is he your opponent?

1 comment:

  1. Thanking the Lord that He is my stronghold, my fortress, my refuge, my deliverer, my haven of rest! This is not because I am sinless, but "blameless or counted as innocent, by grace through faith." The just for the unjust...Praise God!

    ReplyDelete