Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Releasing Obsessions

Do you ever get a thought stuck in your mind? Do you find that no matter how hard you try to dislodge it, it keeps poking and prodding you?  If I'm not careful, I can let a thought drive me.  At times, a single-minded focus is a good thing, but at other times it can be counter-productive.

I have been looking (and looking and looking) for an article I read some time back.  The article shared tips for increasing the amount one reads and understanding more of it.  However, I can't remember the site, the author, or the title of the article.  I have searched all the places I thought I would help me find it, but alas, no luck.

Apart from the consumption of time (as if there is any to spare), this particular obsession is relatively harmless.  What about the things we obsess about that aren't harmless?  Maybe we let something someone said years ago still determine our opinion of ourselves.  Maybe a lie has come to rest in our heart, because we continue to believe it.

There are countless ways that a negative single-minded focus can enslave and imprison us.  There comes a point where we have to abandon the obsession.  We have to learn to let it go.  If we don't we find ourselves trapped in a holding pattern.

What obsession do you need to release?  How long are you going to wait until you are ready to taste the freedom offered you by Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment