Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Out on a Limb

I had a notion back in 2009 to challenge Monticello to baptize 10 people by October 10, 2010 (10-10-10).  However, I let fear creep in and keep me from making the challenge.  Fear came masquerading as a sound advice, but it was still fear.  I told myself, "You know how much we hate gimmicks."  And 10 by 10-10-10, sure sounded like a gimmick (and still does), but it could have also been a rallying point.

I bring all of this up because I blurted out a challenge during my sermon Sunday.  It was one of those moments where my tongue let loose, before my brain could stop it.  I asked, "How many people do you think this church could baptize in a year?  Somebody give me a number."  My heart started beating a mile a minute, but began to slow down when my challenge was greeted by silence.  Then I heard my voice again, "Come on, somebody give me a number."  Silly tongue, what are you doing to me?  Then the silence was broken by one word, "Fifteen."  I got a number just as I requested, it just happen to be higher than I anticipated (after hearing myself ask the question).  Then I heard something else, it was my voice asking, "Do I hear 20?"  Fortunately, there were no takers.

The temptation is to pretend like I didn't throw the question out there; to forget that someone, in good faith, gave an answer; and to assume no one expects me to act on it.  I have been tempted to let it go, but I can't.  The challenge has been issued, and if I walk away it will be a victory for fear.  It would be easy to say, "We can't reach 15 people in a year."  And it might even be true, but we'll never know what God can do through us if we don't try.

Although I am a bit leery of setting a numerical goal for baptisms, I am beginning to see that it is equally dangerous to operate without some sort of goal in mind. So the challenge has been issued.  Now all I can do is labor diligently to see that we succeed.  It means intentionality, prayerfulness, delegation, training, fasting, etc.  It means seeking the face of God. 

Some would say, "It can't be done."  If they mean, we cannot do it in our strength alone, they are right.  However, if they mean that it is beyond what is possible, I would strongly disagree.  With God all things are possible.  We must never forget that truth. 

It seems that I have gone out on a limb.  I could drop the ball, so to speak.  I could fall on my face.  But I would rather run the risk of falling on my face, then fail by not doing anything.  If our church labors at prayer and evangelism, there will be a harvest.  If we do not labor at these tasks, we have no right to expect a harvest anyway. 

So pray for us as we endeavor to answer the challenge.  It is hard to know where the next 51 weeks will take us, but I'm looking forward to finding out.  Do you know anyone who needs the Lord?  If you send me a message, I'll begin praying for them.  Pray that God would bless us with 15 conversions, by his grace and for his glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment