Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Considering David

"He [David] said to his men,'The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the Lord's anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the LORD's anointed'" (1 Sam. 24:6).

David fascinates me.  Every time I read through his story, I find myself trying to get into his head.  I want to know the reasons behind his actions.  I know that David was a man after God's own heart, but I want really want to understand it.  I want to learn how to live and think this way.

In the passage the above quote is drawn from, Saul is pursuing David to kill him, and unknowingly enters David's hideout.  David's companions urge him to strike Saul down, and become king.  However, David refuses to do it.  His reason is simple: Saul is the Lord's anointed.  David creeps up to Saul, who is using the bathroom, and cuts off part of Saul's robe.  Even this event strikes David's conscience.  Yet, David uses it to show Saul that he does not desire him.

Although I know how the story goes, it always excites me to read it.  Here are some of the things that amaze me:

  • David was content to wait on God's time. David was the rightful king.  The kingdom had been taken from Saul, and given to David by God.  Yet, David was willing to wait for God to bring him to his throne.
  • David was confident that God's Word would not fail.  David's confidence in the promises of God were the fuel for his contentment.
  • David's love for the Lord extended to his anointed.  He understood, at least in part, that you cannot despise the anointed without despising the Anointer.
  • David's bold nature and willingness to take initiative were an expression of his submission to God's will. 
  • David had a very tender conscience. David felt guilty just for cutting Saul's garment.
  • David was truly humble.  Compared to Saul, David (even as rightful king) saw himself as a dog and a flea. 

I yearn to see these things becoming more evident in my life.  My heart's desire is to walk in the footsteps of David's greater son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  May the Lord grant us hearts that pursue his glory over our own.  May it be said of us that we are people after God's own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment