Monday, August 3, 2009

Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us

"For thus says the Lord God, 'Behold, I, I myself will search for my sheep and will seek them out'" (Ezek. 34:12, ESV).

I am thinking (and praying) through several difficult situations. Satan would have me to believe the lie that God is not able to deliver those in these situations. He would have me to give into despair. When he can't get me to give into these tactics, he attacks me in all my weak spots. He keeps me busy with less important matters. He keeps my mind chasing meatless rabbits. He knows that if he can keep me stumbling in sin, or burdened by shame, or wrestling with doubt, he can keep me off balance and ineffective.

But I am not an abandoned sheep. My shepherd is ever vigilant and ever near. When I was lost and going astray, he came seeking me and brought me into the fold. Jesus has the power to slay that old lion, the Devil. While it doesn't seem like it, Satan is a defeated foe. His time is short. We must continually confront his lies with this truth.

As I think about the ravages of sin that I have witnessed in my life, I am comforted to know that I have a shepherd who cares for me. My prayer for those who profess Christ as their Lord and who are struggling with sin can be summed up by the song "Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us:"

Savior like a shepherd lead us, much we need thy tender care;
In the pleasant pastures feed us, for our use thy folds prepare:
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Thou has bought us, thine we are;
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Thou has bought us, thine we are.

We are thine; do thou befriend us, be the guardian of our way;
Keep thy flock, from sin defend us, seek us when we go astray:
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Hear, O hear us when we pray;
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Hear, O hear us when we pray.

Thou has promised to receive us, poor and sinful though we be;
Thou has mercy to relieve us, grace to cleanse, and pow'r to free:
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Early let us turn to thee;
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Early let us turn to thee.

Early let us seek thy favor; early let us do thy will;
Blessed Lord and only Savior, with thy love our bosoms fill:
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Thou hast loved us, love us still;
Blessed Jesus, Blessed Jesus, Thou hast loved us, love us still.

Lord, you have bought us, we are yours. As we pray through the hard times ahead, hear us when we pray. You have promised to receive us, even though we are poor and sinful. Defend us from sin and seek us when we go astray. You have loved us, and will continue to do so. We give you thanks and praise for showing us your gracious kindness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment