Saturday, August 15, 2009

How Deep the Father's Love for Us


Most of us have been tempted to ask the question, "God, do you love me?". However, the question shouldn't be "do you love me?," but "how much do you love me?" Stuart Townend has written a marvelous hymn, "How Deep the Father's Love for Us," that explores the answer to that question. Here are the lyrics:

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross
My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

©1995 Kingsway's Thankyou Music
Words and Music by Stuart Townend


When I think about this song, I can't help but be reminded of God's love. His love has been demonstrated through Christ's death on the cross (Rom. 5:8) and in our adoption as sons (1 John 3:1). While the reason behind his love may remain a mystery, the fact that he loves us is no mystery at all.

Many people see the Father as unloving and harsh. Townend's song captures the biblical reality of the Father's sending love. He sent his beloved Son into the world to die for the sins of the world. Through Jesus Christ, the Son, we may approach the Father. Paul explains, "Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father'" (Gal. 4:6). The Father loved us so much that he sent his Son. The Son loved us so much that he bore our sin on the cross, tasting the wrath of God on our behalf. The Spirit loved us so much he applied the message to our hearts, enabling us to cry out, "Abba, Father."

There are several excellent versions of this song available, I encourage you to get one and listen to it often. It will encourage you by reminding just how loved you really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment