Thursday, July 30, 2009

His Word My Hope Secures

Like most people, I love the song Amazing Grace. My favorite verse is the original fourth verse, which often goes unsung. It says, "The Lord has promised good to me, His word my hope secures; He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures." These words remind me that my hope rests in the One who revealed himself through the Scriptures. His Word secures my hopes, because it as unbreakable as his own character. The Bible is trustworthy and true, because it was breathed out by God.

I am reminded of Agur's words in Proverbs 30:5-6, "Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar." God is true, so his Word must also be true. Our assurance rests in the character and nature of God, and it will not prove false. It is comforting to know that he is my shield and portion "as long as life endures." We know that in Jesus life is eternal.

1 comment: