Saturday, March 21, 2009

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

Isaac Watts had a remarkable gift for word pictures. He stated,

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e're such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
--From "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
I find my mind returning time and again to the question, "Did e're such love and sorrow meet?" I can almost see Christ hanging there on the cross, his blood flowing from his head, his hands, his feet. I can almost feel the sorrow and love mingling together. As my mind meditates on Jesus' death and resurrection I cannot help but resonate with Isaac Watts,

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all!
--From "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
Are you ready to give him your soul, your life, and your all?

No comments:

Post a Comment