Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Que Tu Es Grand

I had to take two years of a foreign language to finish out my high school diploma. As often is the case, I suffered from short-sightedness as a teenager. I picked the language class (French) that had the largest percentage of girls (none of whom would give me the time of day in either language). I could have taken Spanish which would have allowed me to woo Delia twice as effectively, but I didn't think I would need it.

In fact, other than the ability to say "I don't know" in two languages, I have found that the study of French has only aided me on just one occasion. I was at a church event where a man sang "How Great Thou Art" in French. Although I hadn't studied French in a few years (and never very diligently), I began trying to "translate" the song. That event happened almost 10 years ago, but every time I hear "How Great Thou Art," I can hear him sing "Que tu es grand, Que tu es grand" (How great thou art, How great thou art). Since that time I have had the privilege of hearing "How Great Thou Art" sung in Spanish and Swahili. Each time there is something so similiar and yet so different. And somehow the differences made the original (to me) more meaningful.

The most powerful verse (number 3) often goes unsung in church gatherings. As Stuart K. Hine translated it:

And when I think that God, his Son not sparing, Sent him to die,
I scarce can take it in; That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin;

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to thee;
How great thou art, how great thou art!
Then sings my shoul, my Saviour God to thee;
How great thou art, how great thou art!

Dear friends I hope you think often of the fact that God didn't spare his Son, but sent him to bear your sin on the cross. And I hope that your soul sings the the greatness of God--in every language it can!

No comments:

Post a Comment