Thursday, February 26, 2009

Still Thinking About Discipleship

My mind keeps returning to the question, "What is a disciple?". I know that a disciple is a student or a follower of Jesus, but I want to move beyond that basic definition. As a pastor, I want to understand the biblical picture of discipleship so that I can fulfill my calling as a disciple maker. As a Christian, I want to know that I am living and growing as a disciple.

Paul gives us a helpful picture in Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." In this context (Gal. 5:16-26) Paul is contrasting a life lived to please the flesh, and a life surrendered to the Spirit of God. The life lived in the Spirit has unmistakable "fruit." The characteristics listed in Galatians 5:22-23 are the work of the Spirit in our life.

Speaking of love, Paul is moving beyond the mere human expression of affection. The love that Paul is speaking about here would include a love for God that is expressed through obedient faith. It would also include a love for our neighbor that places their needs above our own. It is also includes a love for our enemies that seeks their welfare and salvation, even if they persecute us to death.

For me it is easier to describe joy, than to define it. The picture that comes to mind is Paul and Silas singing hymns of thanksgiving after being beaten and thrown in prison. They were rejoicing in the midst of their hardship. Their spirits couldn't be broken, because their hope in Christ.

Each of these characteristics provide for us a picture of what we should look like. Granted, growth may be slow. We may struggle as we fight sin, flesh, and the devil, but the Holy Spirit will bring the change about in us.

I haven't plumbed the depths of the being a disciple, but I will keep searching until my mind can find a good working definition. I'll keep searching the Scriptures and asking the Lord to reveal to me the nature of a disciple. However, I know that here and now we only see dimly, as through a looking-glass, as Paul would say. Until Christ returns none of us will reflect the full nature of a disciple, but pray we continue to strive in the grace of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment