Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Idea Or Desire?

What is the difference between an idea and a desire? An idea can be defined as "something imagined or pictured in the mind." A desire can be defined as "a longing for or hoping for." The distinction between an idea and a desire is crucial for ministry. Within the framework of the church, every believer is to be a minister. The role of the pastor is to equip the saints for ministry so that the church will be built up into maturity in Christ (see Eph. 4:11-13). This truth teaches us that the primary ministry of the pastor, through preaching and prayer, is equipping the saints.

Many of us get ideas for ministry. We see some need, like tending to the widows or adopting orphans, and we think that's a good idea. However, for many of us that is a far as we get. Sometimes people will say to me, "Bro. Randy, I think the church ought to do so-and-so," and having presented me with their idea they feel their work is done. Situations like these bring us back to our initial question in this post. What is the difference between an idea and a desire? If someone shares their idea with me, I may agree that it is a good one, but that does mean I am going to act on it. For one, I may lack the resources to act on it, whether it be time, knowledge, or strength. Or I may lack the desire.

What most of us don't realize is that sometimes what we mistake as an idea (a thought) is really the Holy Spirit creating a desire (a longing). He doesn't want us to hand it off to someone else, he wants us, through him, to serve God with this desire. Before I received the "call" to preach, I had an idea of what preaching was, but I had no desire to preach (or to even listen). Yet, the when I received the call, the idea became a desire. The desire grew so great that my fear of public speaking was dwarfed by my longing to preach the word. When we serve him out of the desires he has placed in our heart, God is glorified. Our obedience to these desires is often used by God to draw others who will labor along side of us. Ministries often fail in churches, not because of lack of resources (money, time, people), but because they are headed by people who have an idea, but no desire.

How do we know the difference between an idea and a desire? Do you recognize a define need? Does the thought come to you and leave, like a butterfly fluttering between flowers or does it gnaw at you like a starving pit bull with a ham bone? Do your thoughts return frequently to the ways in which God would be exalted if the "idea" succeeded? Are you willing to make any sacrifice to see it happen? Are you ashamed you haven't done something yet? Are you beginning to recognize in others the giftedness and talent that can see this "idea" through to reality? Are you continually returning to God in prayer, yearning to see it happen? If your answer to these questions are yes (and gnawing not fluttering), then friend you have a desire. If you have a desire, I can help equip you for this work of ministry. I can encourage you. I can fan the flames of passion so that it spreads throughout the church, butI cannot take your place. If the Lord has given you the desire, you better be prepared to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment