Monday, February 25, 2013

Correct Me If I'm Wrong

Humility is a difficult thing to fake. I don't mean that people can't pretend to be humble. I mean, if you are not truly humble, your pride will eventually come to the surface. Without true humility, you'll eventually blow your cover.

What does it mean to be humble? Humility is the ability to see yourself for who you truly are and recognize that the world doesn't revolve around you. A humble person can put someone else first, not because they have to, but because it is the right thing to do.

Humility focuses more on responsibilities than rights. Being humble doesn't mean a person doesn't think he has rights. It means he understands that his rights have to be used responsibly.

One of the fastest ways to test a persons humility is to correct them. Pride hates correction. Why? Because correction implies (or explicitly states) that a person is wrong. Pride has developed an exception to every rule, and therefore needs no correction.

Ask yourself, "What is my reaction to correction?". Let's assume you got overwhelmed (because you are overworked and under appreciated) and you missed an appointment. The person with whom you were to meet is upset. They accuse you of being disorganized and lazy. How would you feel?

Do you feel betrayed? bewildered? hurt? defensive? How certain are you that there isn't a shred of truth in their accusations? Pride will have you on the defensive. It will arm you with a list of reasons that you can't be wrong.

Humility acknowledges the mistake. It acknowledges limitation and the temptation to defend oneself. Humility takes the time to consider the complaint, then acts accordingly.

Jesus walked in humility. He had a humble heart. His followers need to pursue humility, as well. I want a humble heart, but I wrestle with pride every day. I wish correction didn't chaff me as much, but it does. Until that day, my prayer will be, "God, grant me the ability to endure correction until my heart walks in humility." 

No comments:

Post a Comment