Monday, November 5, 2012

Lord of Elections

Tomorrow is election day. People all over the United States will be heading to the polls. Many will enter the voting booth with high hopes. They'll cast their ballots for the man they believe can deliver them from economic (and maybe social) evil. They want a leader who can break their bondage.

Many will go to the polls tomorrow conflicted. They have become disillusioned by the political process, and feel that neither candidate represents their interest. Why can't we have a better option? Who can save America from this slow and painful downward slide?

Will the outcome of tomorrow's election really make a difference? Will it matter who is sworn in come January? In one sense, it does matter. Policies affecting all of us could be extended or ended. Yet, in another sense, it doesn't matter. No matter who wins the election, evil will still be a real presence within our world.

We have become ineffective at fight evil in our world because we no longer fight it within ourselves. We make mistakes and wrestle with addiction; we do not sin. We need understanding, not a new heart. With so many people and events to blame, personal responsibility can take a holiday.

The truth is the person elected to the office of President can't save us. He's just a man. A man with a plan and a policy, but still just a man. We need something more.

Lord willing, I'm going to the polls tomorrow. I'm going to go into that booth, and cast my ballot. Unlike some Americans, I'll come out of that both confident. I don't mean that I'll be confident my guy will win or confident I made the best choice.

I'll be confident that God is in control. For purposes I cannot guess, God has determined who will win this election. He won't be waiting up all night to see how the vote turned out. He has known since the foundation of this world.

May great confidence will be that I am in the hands of the one who is in charge. I don't have to worry. I only have to seek his kingdom. I am comforted by Solomon's wisdom: "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord" (Prov. 16:33). I may not know who is going to win, but I know who is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment